Job Title: Data Architect
Department: Global Knowledge and Information Management (GKIM)
Reports to: Director, Enterprise Architecture
Catholic Relief Services (CRS) carries out the commitment of the Bishops of the United States to assist the poor and vulnerable overseas. Our Catholic identity is at the heart of our mission and operations. We welcome as a part of our staff and as partners people of all faiths and secular traditions who share our values and our commitment to serving those in need.
The Data Architect is responsible for providing technical leadership to CRS in information management, data warehousing, data mining, business intelligence, visualization and analytics. The position guides the assessment of data quality and consistency across platforms and products, ensuring the data assets of CRS are available for achieving its organizational goals. The individual should possess a combination of business knowledge, technical skills, and people skills to define and guide CRS’ data strategy.
- Provide thought leadership in the areas of advanced data techniques, including data modeling, data access, data integration, data visualization, text mining, data discovery, database design and implementation.
- Through broad collaboration, create data strategies; define and guide the roadmap for the implementation of the data strategy; including data modeling, implementation and data management of data warehouse and advanced data analytics systems.
- Provide the vision for use of data, gain stakeholder consensus, perform vendor and product trade-offs, mentor technical staff, deliver solutions, training and documentation.
- Develop and maintain an enterprise data model reflecting the data currently housed in CRS systems.
- Identify areas for improvement based on assessment of CRS’ data needs.
- Develop data storage, integration, and migration specifications for new CRS systems and major system upgrades.
- Provide technical oversight and/or guidance to data designers and developers in the areas of physical data storage, data migration, data integration, and data related testing plans associated with the release of new CRS systems and major system upgrades.
- Provide leadership in establishing analytic environments required for structured, semi-structured and unstructured data.
- Develop specific metrics for quality and consistency reviews of data across business functions.
- Provide guidance to agency-wide data stewardship policies and processes.
Background, Experience & Requirements:
Education and Experience
- Master’s degree in IT related field or equivalent experience.
- Minimum of 10 years of experience in data modeling, preferably with MS SQL Server technology.
- Minimum of 5 years of experience in development of data management strategies at the enterprise subject area level.
- Experience using master data management techniques in defining and sharing reference data and business data.
- Past experience in developing the data integration and data warehouse components for solutions that were enabled by off the shelf technologies, such as an ERP or Salesforce.
- Strong hands-on experience in leading the definition, design, and deployment planning of data management strategies.
- Knowledge of and/or experience in using maturity models, ISO standards involving data, and the ITIL services concept.
- Knowledge of best practices, methods, tools, and techniques used to address each phase of a system’s life cycle.
- Good grasp of current and emerging technologies for data storage, data management, data transformation, data quality, and analytics.
- Good grasp of business systems analysis, and process and data artifacts within an enterprise architecture framework, such as TOGAF.
- Experience with cloud data technologies.
- Track record of reliable and consistent performance.
- Ability to learn new technologies quickly and understand potential uses.
- Ability to develop and document data architecture using industry standard modeling tools and techniques.
- Ability to trade-off various data solutions and articulate their relative advantages and disadvantages.
- Strong systems thinking and analytical approaches to problem solving.
- Ability to articulate complex technical scenarios to stakeholders and non-technical audience in a simple business language.
- Excellent interpersonal, presentation and oral and written communication skills.
- Experience in working in a team-oriented, multi-cultural, collaborative environment.
- Patient and flexible.
- Interest in evolving data technologies.
Required/Desired Foreign Language
- Fluency in written and spoken English ·
- The Knowledge of Spanish, French or Arabic will be an added advantage to this position.
- This position will require occasional travel of up to 10%, including to resource poor international locations.
Key Working Relationships:
Supervisory: Not Applicable
Internal: Members of the Global Knowledge and Information Management Department, members of CRS’ ICT organizations, CRS Senior Managers and Executives, and owners of CRS business systems.
External: NetHope and IT leaders of other NGO’s and consortiums focused on use of ICT in the relief and development sector.
Agency-wide Competencies (for all CRS Staff):
These are rooted in the mission, values, and guiding principles of CRS and used by each staff member to fulfill his or her responsibilities and achieve the desired results.
- Serves with Integrity
- Models Stewardship
- Cultivates Constructive Relationships
- Promotes Learning
Disclaimer: This job description is not an exhaustive list of the skill, effort, duties, and responsibilities associated with the position.
NOTE: All interested applicants must be authorized to work in the U.S. at the time of application.
CRS’ talent acquisition procedures reflect our commitment to protecting children and vulnerable adults from abuse and exploitation.