The Application Integration Engineer supports the application development of the academic, clinical, and administrative units of the School of Dentistry. This position is responsible for developing and coordinating integrated software programs and application solutions aimed at modernizing and consolidating independently designed applications across the school. This individual determines how existing applications, legacy systems, databases, web interfaces and/or hardware logic, which may be on multiple platforms, work together to optimize system requirements and performance. This position will be the lead developer of our new dashboard based on key performance indicators. The right individual will support a project performing data analytics and will provide development, testing, implementation support, and customization.
This is an exempt, regular position and offers a generous benefits package that includes 22 vacation days, 14 floating and observed holidays, 15 sick days; comprehensive health insurance and retirement options; and tuition remission for employees and their dependents at any of the University System of Maryland schools.
- Plan, execute, and manage the integration of new applications into existing systems and software throughout the School of Dentistry.
- Act as lead developer in data mining for clinical research and quality assurance purposes.
- Interface with end users to gather business requirements to ensure successful and seamless integration of applications.
- Test and implement new releases of clinic management software. Analyze impact and potential of new software features and capabilities. Manage projects that span a broad range of systems; may integrate local system with complex enterprise-wide components.
- Enhance or improve business processes via integration and minimize the impact of integration on affected business units.
- Review integration results by evaluating reports and data to make recommendations and enhancements to future integrations.
- Customize vendor supplied SQL functions, triggers, and views as needed.
- Consult with management to determine information requirements of various departments and activities to determine boundaries and priorities of new projects, and to discuss system capacity and equipment acquisitions.
- Review reports of computer and peripheral equipment production, and maintenance to ascertain costs, operating changes and assess integration needs.
- Participate in component and data architecture design, software product evaluation and buy vs. build recommendation.
- Design and develop a management dashboard based on key performance indicators.
- Perform other related duties as assigned.
Education: Bachelor’s degree in Computer Science or a related field
Experience: Five (5) years of programming/systems analysis experience with emphasis in applications and systems architectural design and development, database and middleware technologies. Equivalent combination of education and experience may be considered.
Preferred: Prior experience working with large relational databases in the healthcare field. Experience working with Oracle and MS SQL Server RDBMS. Experience in developing complex Crystal Reports preferred.
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities
- Possess knowledge of systems and software quality assurance, best practices and methodologies, multiple technical environments, and Crystal Reports. Ability to perform position in compliance with all requirements, regulations, and laws. Ability to maintain high standards with the work being performed and maintain awareness with trends and influences. Possess basic to advanced SQL programming ability. Skill in assuming personal responsibility for all outcomes. Skill in making effective and timely decisions. Skill in the effective use of technology. Ability to maintain productivity.
- Ability to effectively communicate both verbal and written thoughts, ideas, and facts. Ability to understand written information and is able to listen attentively to verbal and non-verbal cues that lead to a deeper understanding. Ability to effectively communicate with end users.
- Ability to work cooperatively with others and demonstrates professional, ethical, respectful, and courteous behavior when interacting with others. Ability to interact pleasantly and positively with other to meet customer expectations, and provide follow up with customers.
Hiring Range: Commensurate with education and experience.
If accommodations are needed for a disability, please contact Human Resource Services at 410-706-2606, Monday – Friday, 8:30am – 4:30pm EST. Maryland Relay can be accessed by dialing 711 (in-state) or 1-800-735-2258.
Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer. Minorities, women, protected veterans and individuals with disabilities are encouraged to apply.