SparkPost reliably delivers application emails on time and to the inbox. SparkPosts email API technology is trusted by Pinterest, HubSpot, The Financial Times, Zillow, Booking.com, Intercom, and thousands of other companies, both big and small, to deliver over 3 trillion messages a year. That's more than 25 percent of the worlds non-spam email.
We are looking for a highly motivated Senior Application Software Engineer to help us design and build applications and user interfaces that support our suite of industry-leading messaging software. This position is based in Columbia, MD but remote candidates will also be considered within the US East coast.
SparkPost believes in a fun but focused development environment:
- Flexible hours
- Outstanding benefits
- Group activities
- Stocked kitchen and catered lunch once a week
- Equipment includes MacBook Pro
- On site or remote engineer onboarding options
- Distributed team centered on our engineering office in Columbia, MD
- Work within an agile software engineering team to create software applications that delight our customers.
- Software development includes: Back-end & front-end, database development, REST APIs.
- Collaboration within the team and with our partners is essential (Product, Project Management, other teams) for all activities: requirements analysis, R&D and prototyping, architecture, estimates, documentation, coding, and testing.
- Unit, functional, and performance testing of backend and front-end code.
- Automation of development, build, and testing process.
Desired Experience and Qualifications
- 5 years experience building, testing, and deploying high quality, highly reliable, scalable web applications, APIs, and user-interfaces in a team environment.
- Comfortable owning complex implementation tasks alone or as part of a team.
- With aspirations towards owning complex tasks and leading a team in their implementation.
- Strong ability to mentor other developers, and otherwise share and collaborate with peers on best practices, testing, and building in quality.
- Experience in server-side development with Node.js (Express).
- Experience with Linux server administration.
- Experience with modern database technologies including Cassandra, PostgreSQL and/or HP Vertica.
- Experience with Amazon Web Services including EC2, S3, Dynamo, CloudSearch, SQS CloudFront and Lambda.
- Experience with JS tooling such as NPM, Webpack, Gulp and Grunt.
- Passion for quality-oriented software development best practices including unit and functional testing, automation, continuous integration, and low-dependency architectures.
- Must think critically, be outcome oriented, and constantly strive for improving how the team reliably delivers high-quality software.
- Excellent analytical, problem solving, and debugging skills.
- Conformable working with git and GitHub for version control, including opening/reviewing pull requests and distributed branching models.
- Experience with responsive design and UX design in general.