Friends of The Web is a software design and development company based in Baltimore, Maryland. We’ve been in business for over four years, during which time we’ve had the pleasure of working with clients of all sizes, as well as designing, building, and releasing our own software products. We build for the web in Ruby and Rails and for iOS in Objective C and Swift.
Our clientele is intentionally diverse, from technology companies to educational and cultural institutions. We believe experience and knowledge is transferrable, and lessons learned from one project are applicable to other projects in different fields. As a result, our clients hire us as problem solvers, not implementors of established solutions.
In our process, design and engineering are valued equally as essential elements of making great software. Our designers understand technical limitations and often write code of their own, and our developers have an appreciation and respect for excellent design and user experience. We design and build simultaneously, and strive to set expectations with our clients that allow us to spend the amount of time required to do something properly.
Our office is a collaborative and open environment. Team members are encouraged to provide feedback on all projects, even ones they’re not directly working on. Good communication skills and a positive attitude towards constructive criticism are highly valued.
Our work is made better with contributions from people with different experiences, skills, and backgrounds. We’re dedicated to building a diverse team and believe this requires special attention in the tech industry, which is too often narrow-minded and non-inclusive. Applicants from groups typically underrepresented in technology are encouraged to apply.
We're looking for an experienced web developer to join our small team. As a developer at Friends of The Web, you’ll participate in and lead a diverse set of projects, both internally driven and for a range of clients. You’ll have an opportunity to continue to develop your own skills while solving interesting problems and helping to guide the development of our products.
Candidates are expected to have a firm grasp of the full product development process. This includes working closely with designers to fully understand the goals and intents of a product and how those influence the details of implementation.
- Be able to communicate clearly and effectively with collaborators on a project, including clients and team members who may have little or no technical background
- Lead major project features and potentially entire development projects, mapping them out using project management tools and making sure features are completed on time and to the specifications
- Be self-sufficient and able to work independently without significant oversight
- Be able to work closely with developers of a similar skill level and also willing and able to mentor newer developers
- Be very familiar with Ruby on Rails, ideally Rails 4.x
- Be comfortable writing both unit and integration tests for Rails applications
- Be familiar with relational database systems, specifically PostgreSQL, and be comfortable writing basic SQL queries without the aid of an ORM
Optional experience that would be valuable includes:
- An understanding of CSS and SCSS
- Experience with e-commerce frameworks, especially Spree commerce
- Interest in working on open source development projects