The University of Maryland School of Dentistry (UMSOD) is seeking a Web Master to manage its web presence and maintain a consistent presentation of the UMSOD brand. This position will maintain the School's website to ensure it is always up to date and accurate. The Web Master manages and oversees the planning and directing of resources necessary to develop and support the strategic initiatives of the web based systems/applications for one or more business functions of the School; reviews, evaluates, and recommends objectives, policies, and procedures to ensure that the web based systems/applications provided are of high quality and that the needs of the UMSOD are being serviced. Manages large/complex projects that require web based systems/applications, ensures adherence to budget and schedule, and oversees effective communications between web development personnel and end users.
This is an exempt, regular position and offers a generous benefits package that includes 22 vacation days, 14 floating and observed holidays, 15 sick days; comprehensive health insurance and retirement options; and tuition remission for employees and their dependents at any of the University System of Maryland schools.
- Manages the support and development of Content Management Systems (CMS) and Cascading Style Sheets (CSS) and custom system modules.
- Manages the development and execution of project work plans. Revises project plan, in consultation with upper management, to meet changing needs and requirements and enforces coding standards.
- Manages functional personnel in alignment with department and campus-wide goals/objectives in order to promote maximum staff member benefit and effectiveness as well as overall functional productivity.
- Maintains functional efficiency and productivity by developing, implementing, and coordinating policies and procedures.
- Fosters and supports a conducive consultant/client environment, providing business unit and campus representatives with assessment, training, and advisement in web development area.
- Monitors, reviews, and evaluates ongoing functional programs and controls, assessing needs and facilitating improvements.
- Performs such administrative duties as budgetary tracking, report formulation, and quality assurance.
Education: Bachelor’s degree in a related field. (Master’s degree and additional certification can be used to substitute for relevant experience). Computer Science or Information Systems curriculum preferred.
Or equivalent of nine (9) years combination of formal information systems & web education/training and/or web experience and with at least one (1) year of staff supervision as well as knowledge of at least two (2) structured programming languages and relational database management systems.
- Knowledge of web best practices in school/unit/departmental field.
- Ability to continuously seek quality service and process improvements in order to support a schools/units/departments mission and strategic vision.
- Instructional, training, and team building skills to strengthen and cultivate relationships.
- Ability to apply deductive reasoning and draw conclusions in order to solve problems and facilitate decision-making processes.
- Ability to communicate and interact with, as well as support effective partnerships with peers and subordinates.
- Ability to prioritize ongoing and new projects, as well as conduct research and gather information.
- Consultation and change management skills.
- Oral/written communication, presentation, and interpersonal skills.
- Ability to develop web application implementation plans.
- Ability to support users and assist them in the use of web tool and technologies.
- Thorough knowledge of sophisticated web technologies and database engine characteristics, structures, programming tools and concepts.
- Strong knowledge of system/equipment capability, programming & design restrictions, encryption, and security requirements.
- Must be able to continuously monitor industry trends, technologies, and standards and be able to research, recommend, and apply new technologies as they emerge.
- Provide mentoring to those with less knowledge of web design and development.
Hiring Range: Commensurate with education and experience.
If accommodations are needed, contact Staffing & Career Services at 410-706-2606, Monday – Friday, 8:30am – 4:30pm EST. Maryland Relay can be accessed by dialing 711 (in-state) or 1-800-735-2258.
Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer. Minorities, women, protected veterans and individuals with disabilities are encouraged to apply.